If you are interested in developing a career as an accountant, you can pursue various types of accounting degrees. Though there are not as many types of degree programs in accounting as compared to fields like information technology, there are a few which can help you to get license and work in supervisory or leadership positions.
Levels of Accounting Degrees
The accounting degree that you want to pursue depends on the job and position that you are interested in. There are a variety of accounting degree levels ranging from an associate’s to a Doctorate in Accounting.
- An Associate’s Degree in Accounting
can be completed in two years and can help you to get entry-level bookkeeping jobs.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
can be completed in four years and it can help you to take up the licensing exam to become a certified public accountant.
- A Master’s Degree in Accounting
can enable you to opt for various areas of specialization in different areas like forensic accounting, tax accounting and auditing.
- If you are interested in developing a managerial career, you can opt for an MBA with focus in Accounting. This can help you to become a Certified Public Accountant. You can also hone skills required in accounting and finance related career options
- A Doctorate in Accounting is the highest academic level in the field of accounting. With this degree, you can develop academic positions like a professor in accounting at the college or university level. This degree requires you to submit a dissertation and can be completed in four to five years.
Different Types of Accounting Degrees
Apart from different academic levels of accounting, there are also different types of accounting degrees with specialization to enable you to choose which kind of accounting you want to pursue. These are:
- A Certified Public Accountant or CPA need to complete about 150 coursework hours of accounting. With this you can work in areas like taxation, auditing, and financial consulting
- A Certified Internal Auditor evaluates the financial data, reports and statements of a company and ensures good financial health of a company.
- Certified Management Accountants can get high level accounting positions in an organization. They are involved in performing various financial operations of a company like business analysis, strategic management, management accounting and reporting.
An accounting degree can help you to develop a lucrative career in accounting. You can choose from a wide array of career options with attractive salaries. Moreover, the employment outlook is quite bright and is higher than in other industries.